There are tons of these floating around, and I always enjoy reading them! So I figured, why not? I hope you enjoy learning a little about me and what my holidays are like–and I hope to get to know you too! Let’s get this invasion of privacy started!
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Gift bags. I wrap like shit. I don’t have the patience for it, and it’s generally lumpy and bumpy. My husband is the gift wrapper in our household.
2. Real tree or artificial? Artificial. I was raised on a real tree, and I love the tradition. My parents and I went every year on the hunt for the perfect Christmas tree. My daddy and I usually picked the biggest tree known to mankind, and it was my mom’s job to say it was too dang big and find the “good side!”
Later, once I met my husband (then boyfriend) he would come along with us. I love the smell! But getting the tree home is when the bs started…I was the designated waterer. Who the hell likes to shimmey underneath the tree to water it, getting stuck and scratched by the bristles? And I hate the mess from a real tree. When I moved out with my lover, we had our first artificial tree, and I haven’t looked back! Every side is a good side! LOL. Maybe we could go on the hunt to look for a “real” wreath to continue the tradition with our son? I don’t know. But I can’t see purchasing a real tree anytime soon.
3. When do you put up the tree? When I feel like it. Always sometime after Thanksgiving.
4. When do you take the tree down? Usually fairly quickly after the new year, I always wait until after January 1st, because my mom convinced me that it was bad luck to do so prior.
5. Do you like eggnog? Hell no. I’m not a fan of ingesting anything milky.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Hmmm…I loved Cabbage Patch Dolls! I had a boy and a girl–the girl was named Clairoda and the boy named Joseph. We had a house fire as a child, and I stood outside screaming for my daddy to go save them. Luckily, we all–including Clairoda and Joseph–survived!
7. Do you have a Nativity scene? Yes. But I don’t always put it up.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My in-laws. They are both really thoughtful and buy wonderful gifts. So we always search and try to find something they’ll both enjoy. They are super easy to please, but it’s mostly that they buy such NICE things for us, it makes you want to work extra hard to find nice things for them.
9. Easiest person to buy for? My lover and my baby!
10. Worst Christmas Gift you ever received? OMG. I’m scared to say, but my hubby and I just talked about this the other day! They could be reading this! I think I’ll plead the 5th on this one. With that being said, it’s truly the thought that counts! Hahaha!
11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Neither. I used to mail Christmas cards, but I don’t anymore. I love receiving them. But I suck at mailing them. I don’t even really know why?!
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Duh–A Christmas Story, isn’t that everyones? I have such fond memories of hearing my daddy’s deep, hard laughter watching it on repeat on what…TBS? I love Ralphie and the leg lamp!
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Whenever I have the money to! It can vary from weeks ahead of time to the week of Christmas! LOL. Since I’ve had my son, I’ve started shopping a lot earlier though.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Shit, yeah!!! Winning! I’m not above it! One man’s junk is another man’s treasure!
15. Favorite things to eat at Christmas? Sugar cookies. Last Christmas I gained like 12 lbs that I had to lose in January. I literally baked cookies like every other day with my lovebug and hubs and ate them fresh out the oven. I’m not going that route this year, lol. 12 lbs was too damn much! I love to eat dressing, greens and I also really love having a seafood Christmas dinner complete with crab legs, crab cakes, fried shrimp etc. That’s what I’m making this year.
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I’m a fan of either, but I don’t like multi-colored strands. You need to choose and stop being greedy. You can’t take up all the colors of the rainbow. Quit being indecisive!
17. Favorite Christmas song? “This Christmas” but ONLY the version by Donnie Hathaway (click here to listen). I generally enjoy any Christmas song, but that one is my true favorite as it reminds me of my daddy. We always play old Motown Christmas in our household. I like that and I can twerk and bag presents at once! 🙂
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I’ve never traveled for Christmas but I would LOVE to do this sometime with hubs and love bug. One day!
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Let’s see…Comet, Donner, Blitzen, Cupid and ‘nem.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star!
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? When I was a little girl up until the time she passed, my mom always gave me a ‘”Twas the night before Xmas gift.” I love the tradition. It’s usually pajamas to wear that night. God how I miss that from her!
My husband and I continue it together and with our baby. It’s just one gift though! The rest are opened at the butt-crack of dawn Christmas morning!
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Assholes. It makes me sad when people are so rude in stores this time of year. It’s Christmas for godsakes!
23. What is the “silliest” family tradition you do, or miss doing? I miss everything with my parents. They were my hearts, and the holidays without them always makes me a little sad. I yearn to smell my mom’s cooking, and watch her shake her butt at the stove while blaring Motown Christmas music. I miss my daddy singing loud and off-key and watching them dance together in the kitchen.
24. Ugliest Christmas Decoration ever invented? Icicles or is it tinsel? Whatever those silver things are that string on the tree. They are so messy and get everywhere! HATE HATE HATE. And I think they look messy (don’t hate me if you love these, lol).
25. Which looks best, theme trees or homey trees? I like color coordinated trees! I’ve never really had a theme tree. But it would be fun to try one!
26. Gingerbread or sugar cookies? Sugar Cookies, I told you I gained 12lbs last year!
27. Do you like Fruitcake? NO! Serious question, does anybody?
What are some of your favorite holiday traditions? Any fun and unique ones that you do with your kids?
One of my favorite traditions is that my MIL buys us personalized ornaments every year–dating back to the 90’s when my husband and I were teens (please don’t do the math, I’m not that old, promise). One individual for each of us with the name and date, and then a couples ornaments. Now, she gets our son one too, so that’s SO FUN to have a tree full of personalized ornaments (even though we didn’t put them all up this year since my son won’t stop touching the tree)!
Do you prefer a real tree or an artificial one–and why?